Saturday, June 29, 2013

Our Nation's Capitol

Our second day in Washington DC, began at the US Capitol.  It was a beautiful day, with an unbelievable blue sky.  As it was early in the day, it wasn't too hot...yet.  When we arrived, I was in awe of the massive size of this building.  It is absolutely jaw-dropping in size!  As we were walking up to it, this was one of the first photos I took.


If you are anywhere near the National Mall area of Washington, DC, the dome of the building dominates the landscape.  It seemed that no matter where I was, every time I turned around, I was able to find a new perspective and view of the dome.  It's hard to believe that this is only the fifth tallest building in Washington, DC.


The photo above was taken in front of the Capitol on the east side of the building.  The wind was just perfect, blowing the flag from left to right.

The photo below is at the base of a small reflecting pool looking up at the dome.


According to Wikipedia, the US Capitol building sits on approximately 274 acres.  It is enormous!

The last photo I'll leave you with is a view of the Capitol from the west side.  This was taken with my 75-300mm lens.  I was standing on the National Mall, about halfway between the Washington Monument and the Capitol.  This was definitely one of the coolest buildings I saw in DC.


No comments:

Post a Comment